Saturday, September 26, 2015

Tsatsayaku takes first place at the Chocolate Festival!

What an amazing day at the Cacao and Chocolate Festival. People from all over the Amazon came. The highlight of the day was Tsatsayaku taking the top prize in "Best Chocolate." Kudos to Henry, David and Saul who worked their magic this week. They had some pretty stiff competition from some established chocolate makers from Quito.

 

 

 

Ned and I enjoyed experiencing the food (grubs!), dances and cultural celebration of the Amazon region.

Here is Henry offering me a grub worm to eat.

 

 

Rather than write a lot about it, I thought I would let the pictures tell the story.

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the record, I asked permission from everyone who let me photograph them. I think the faces really tell the story about the beautiful Kichwa and other indigineous people.

 

 

 

 

 

The Peace Corp Volunteers from all over Ecuador came for the festival. Here they are enjoying lunch together.

 

 

 

Ned and I ate some pincho de chontakuro, which are big fat tree grub. They are live, then bbq'd on a stick.


 

Ned trying his first bite of the little grub.

 

The jury is out...

I didn't eat the crunchy skin, but instead just sucked it out. I left the head intact.

 

 

The festival was held in the town of Archidona, one of the first towns settled in the Amazon. Here's the first established church in the Amazon.

 

 

The statue in the town square.

 

 

One of the dance troupes.

 

 

 

Congratulations to Henry, Saul and David of Tsatsayaku - the first place winners!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment