Sunday, January 21, 2018

Market Day in Savusavu

Today we explored the Western side of the Island and went into Savusavu.  This side of the island is definitely more touristy and for the first time since coming to Fiji we have run into folks from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the States.  All the locals are still super friendly, but I kinda miss being a novelty and having people voluntarily striking up conversations with us. 
Savusavu seems more laid back than Labasa, which seems kinda funny to say since all of Fiji is pretty laid back!  

We enjoyed market day in Savusavu, especially all the produce. The piles of dried kava root never cease to amaze me. Yes, we succumbed to buying a pineapple and some tiny little bananas, called lady fingers.  So sweet!

I have no idea with these little tied up things are.  There seemed to be something purple inside of them.  Maybe taro inside?  


Things you won’t find at our stores in the States.  

Canned tuna maybe, but not corned mutton.  (Josh, I almost bought this for you. Almost as good as the canned alien meat I got you from Roswell, NM). To be fair, I think this was imported from New Zealand or Australia and not a local Fiji thing.  

Grog is the local name for kava.  And what the heck is a chocklate ice block?  We make chocolate blocks, but I think that’s different...













The view from the park in Savusavu.  




















Just love the workmanship of these hand carved kava bowls.  They are the size of a very, very large salad bowl.  They are carved out of ironwood and have inlaid mother of pearl.  If only I could hand carry one of these back!  I’d love to have my friends over for a kava and chocolate ceremony.  Still one of the most memorable experiences in Fiji.  I’m convinced that a lot of the world’s problems would be solved if everyone just spent more time hanging out and talking over their issues drinking kava. 

No comments:

Post a Comment